Thursday 23 June 2011

Choosing our words carefully...


I have been thinking a lot about journal writing..........of course......not just because I am making them, but why we have them. We record out thoughts, our lives, our dreams, our pain, and then what happens to them when we are no longer there tending to them, or guarding them under lock and key.
I was recently listening to an interview about the late Manning Clark by his biographer, and he was talking about the history that Manning created through his own journal writing. His biographer seemed to be saying that unless we burn our journals and therefore our thoughts they are left behind and read and in some cases, like Manning's, used to perpetuate his history. He thought Manning's journal writing was a well crafted and carefully constructed history that had been left behind for people to read, He seemed to indicate that it wasn't necessarily the truth, but the truth wasn't going to be told in what would eventually be such a public piece of work.
I had not given a great deal of thought to all those journals containing all my thoughts ever being read by someone...when I go. My journal writing is not something that is constructed for anyone else to see or know about, but one day it could in fact be just that (I'm not suggesting my biography will be written!)...but. will my daughters sit and read them when I''m gone and does that worry me if they do? I probably need to ponder that a little more...will it change the way I write and pour my thoughts on to the page knowing that they will share them. It's a bit of a confronting question in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment